The historical narrow-gauge train sets off early afternoon every Saturday from the station in Piaseczno. It goes through Zalesie Dolne, with its historical station dating back to 1930s, through Głosków, Runów and Złotokłos to Tarczyn. On the way back, it stops in Runów, where the platform is right next to a forest clearing. Here, passengers have time for themselves. You can go for a walk in the forest, laze on the grass or visit Złotokłos – a pre-war summer resort where Marek Hłasko grew up and, among others, lived Mieczysław Fogg. The trip, including the picnic in Runów, takes about 4 hours. You can reach Piaseczno from Warsaw using e.g. a dedicated historical bus line no. 51.
In late 19th century, the Wilanów Narrow-gauge Train was opened, going from Belwederska Tollgate to Czerniakowska Road. Wealthy tailor from Warsaw, Eugeniusz Paszkowski, envied the owners for the success of that modern means of transport and dreamed of a competitive train from Warsaw to Piaseczno, going along Trakt Aleksandryjski (today’s Puławska Street). The first trains entered the section between Keksholmski square (today’s Unii Lubelskiej square) and Dąbrówka in mid-1898 and late the same year they reached Piaseczno. The line had been expanded regularly from that time to 1960s. First, the trains reached Góra Kalwaria, then Grójec and Jasieniec, and finally Nowe Miasto upon Pilica River. In 1924, Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train served the close to 90 km route, the longest one in its history.
In mid-1930s, the Townhall in Warsaw started to be averse to the railway infrastructure because of the increasing road traffic and the growing popularity of electrical trams. First, the line was removed from Unii Lubelskiej square and shortened to Odyńca Street, and then to Warsaw Szopy station (Underground Wilanowska at present).
Following World War II the railway, including narrow-gauge trains, was nationalised. In 1950s, Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train played an important role for the restoration of the Polish capital. Allegedly, every tenth brick in Warsaw was brought using that train from the brick factory in Gołków. 1960s brought about a growing fascination with vehicles and the tram network which was developed in Warsaw. In 1966, the slow, staged liquidation of Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train started. On 1 July 1991, the traffic along the last section, i.e. Piaseczno – Grójec, was terminated. Seven years later the train returned to the section between Piaseczno and Tarczyn thanks to the commitment of its lovers. Tourist trips have been organised since then. Do not hesitate to visit www.kolejka-piaseczno.pl
Bus route 51
Line 51 is designed solely for people going to travel by Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train. The bus can be used based on the ticket issued by Piaseczyńsko-Grójeckie Towarzystwo Kolei Wąskotorowej for travelling by train and the bus bringing the travellers to Piaseczno. It is not possible to buy a ticket solely to travel by no. 51 bus.
The first trolley-buses appeared in Warsaw in 1940s. The municipal public transport was virtually non-existent after World War II. Help came from Marshall Stalin and the Soviet Union countries who donated 30 heavily worn trolley-buses, accessories and the overhead contact line. In January 1946, two lines were started. Two years later, for the first time, line no. 51 from Gdański Station to Unii Lubelskiej square appeared. The development of the trolley-bus network was most intense in early 1960s. There were six lines served by 127 trolley-buses. The trolley-bus liquidation started in 1967 and the network was eliminated 6 years later.
The first mentions of restoring the trolley-buses appeared just three years later. However, they were to play an entirely different role. Instead of serving the centre of Warsaw, they were to go outside the city. There were plans they would reach Piaseczno first as it was developing dynamically both in terms of accommodation opportunities and industry. However, only 10 years after the network was removed from the centre it became possible to start the trolley-bus connection from the Południowy Station (Underground Wilanowska at present) to Piaseczno. The line 51 trolley-buses set off along that route on 1 June 1983.
Nine years later, the development of the plans to restructure the Warsaw public transport was accompanied by the plans to liquidate the trolley-buses. The last day of the summer holidays 1995 was also the last day of the trolley-bus trips. Line no. 51 was replaced by bus line no. 709.
Today, line 51 connects Warsaw with Piaseczno again, bringing tourists eager for adventure while traveling by narrow-gauge railway.
Lines operate on all Saturdays from 4 of July to 27 of September.
Bus 51 departures:
- from the stop Centrum 53 at Marszałkowska street – 13.00
- from the stop Metro Wilanowska 01 at Puławska street – 13.20
Departure of the train from the Piaseczno Miasto station – 14.00
Return of the train to Piaseczno Miasto station – around 17.30
Return of the bus line 51 from the Piaseczno Miasto station – around 18.30
Sample prices of tickets for the Piaseczno Narrow Gauge Railway:
price including trip
with the bus line 51
normal ticket for people with Varsovian Card or Large Family Card
discount ticket for people aged 3-18 years
discount ticket for people aged 3-18 years with Young Varsovian Card or Large Family Card
ticket for disabled people
ticket for a carer of a disabled person
ticket for children under 3 years old (travel on guardians’ lap)
luggage ticket (for a bicycle, grill, sunbed, etc.)
ticket for a dog
Detailed information and ticket purchase at www.kolejka-piaseczno.pl
Warning! The price of a ticket bought on the day of departure of the train at the ticket office on the platform is higher by 5.00 PLN.
Accessibility for people with disabilities
Due to the limited number of places for people in wheelchairs, people interested in riding are asked to contact PGTKW in advance to arrange the details.