WARSAW PUBLIC TRANSPORT
TICKET INSPECTION BASIS
The basis for conducting a ticket inspection among passengers is the entering into a transport services agreement, which occurs when the passenger enters the vehicle, and in case of metro – the metro ticket zone.
The moment a transport services agreement is entered into, a passenger without a valid ticket or document entitling to travel freely is required to immediately validate/activate the ticket after entering the vehicle or when entering the metro ticket zone boundary.
Inspection of tickets in public transport vehicles can be conducted by persons authorised by the ZTM Director.
Persons authorised to conduct ticket inspection are required to wear an ID card in a visible location.
The ticket inspector’s ID card contains:
1) inscription “Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa – Zarząd Transportu Miejskiego” (City of Warsaw – Public Transport Authority);
2) a photograph of the ticket inspector;
3) identification number of the ticket inspector;
4) issuing date and validity date;
5) scope of competence;
6) stamp and signature of the issuer;
7) a hologram.
During the inspection the passenger is presented only with
the front of the ID card.
The ticket inspection is started in the ticket zone or inside the vehicle after the vehicle has left the stop, and after a reasonable period of time within which passengers have had an opportunity to validate their tickets.
The validating machines are blocked during the inspection. Generally all the validating machines are blocked; it is possible to block only one, two or more validating machines. There is no possibility to validate tickets during the inspection. A ticket validated during the ticket inspection is invalid.
Each passenger is obliged to have a valid ticket or document entitling to travel freely when travelling by a vehicle or being in the metro ticket zone. Passengers entitled to travel based on the 50% discount are obliged to have a valid ticket and a document entitling to the discount.
Each passenger is obliged to present the aforementioned ticket and documents at the request of the ticket inspector in a manner which enables the inspector to read the document.
Ticket validity is verified by scanning the ticket with an inspection reader, swiping it through the slot of the inspection tool used for reading the data, or visual assessment by the ticket inspector, depending on the form of the ticket.
Personal tickets coded on personalised Warszawska Karta Miejska (Warsaw City Card) are checked whether the person presenting the ticket is the same as the person on the photo on the reverse of the card.
ADDITIONAL PAYMENT / DISCOUNTS / REQUEST FOR PAYMENT
If the passenger is found travelling without a valid ticket or without any applicable entitlements to free or discount travel, the ticket inspector requests this passenger to pay an additional charge and the transport fee.
That charge and the fee may be:
1) paid immediately — in cash or by card, with a confirmation of payment, in which case the base amount is reduced by 40%,
2) paid within 7 days — the base amount will then be reduced by 30%,
3) paid within 14 days from the day the charge was issued — the full amount of the additional charge has to be paid.
- The transport fee, equivalent to the price of a single fare transfer ticket is not reduced.
- The payment may be made in the Punkt Obsługi Pasażerów ZTM (ZTM Passenger Service Centre), at the post office or with a wire transfer.
In the second and third case the ticket inspector requests the passenger to present a document enabling confirmation of the passenger’s identity, and based on the document issues a request for the payment of the additional fee.
The receipt for the additional charge or request for payment of the additional charge issued in a public transport vehicle allows the passenger to continue their travel only in that particular vehicle. The payment of the additional charge or request for payment imposed outside the vehicle does not allow the passenger to travel by any another vehicle. The receipt for the additional charge or request for payment issued in the metro ticket zone does not authorise the passenger to enter the zone again after leaving it.
Account number for payments for travelling without a valid ticket:
02 1030 1508 0000 0005 5005 5023
Payments for travelling without a valid ticket can be also made to a personalized account number.
Last digits of the account number are the same as the number of a payment request received by the passenger.
TICKET INSPECTOR’S RIGHTS
In case the charge is not paid or an identity document is not presented:
1) The ticket inspector has the right to apprehend the passenger, and then immediately deliver him to Police or other law enforcement services entitled, under applicable laws, to arrest the passenger and establish his or her identity;
2) Until the Police or other law enforcement arrives, the passenger is required to remain at the place of inspection or another location indicated by the ticket inspector.
The ticket inspector has the right to retain, based on a receipt, tickets and documents confirming entitlements to discount or free journeys if there is suspicion of those being forged or changed.
[Refusal to pay the charge and present the documents]
A passenger who, during the ticket inspection, despite the lack of an appropriate travel document, refuses to pay the charge and present the document which will allow establishing his or her identity, is subject to a fine
- Article 33a and 87a of the Transport Law Act dated 1984-11-15 (Journal of Laws of 2017, item 1983 as amended),
- Resolution no. 790/2016 of the City President of 27 May 2016 on the Regulations for transport by means of local public transport organized by the Capital City of Warsaw (as amended)
- Resolution no. XLVII/1139/2017 of the Council of the Capital City of Warsaw on April 6, 2017 on charges for transport services by local public transport in the Capital City of Warsaw Warsaw (Official Journal of the Mazovian Province of 2017, item 4055).